The City of Ypsilanti is establishing an Eligibility List for Fire Fighter/EMT.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
The Fire Fighter/EMT is responsible for extinguishing fires, responding to emergency calls and performing emergency medical techniques in order to protect and minimize the loss of life and property. Beside fire suppression and medical emergencies assignments include but are not limited to; public education, building inspections, maintenance of the fire station, and maintenance of fire apparatus and equipment. Assignments are received and are carried out under considerable judgment, initiative and skill in a variety of cases and must be able to act without direct supervision in completing work.
- Knowledge of human physiology
- Knowledge of modern firefighter techniques and methods
- Knowledge of the city geography and street system
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, coworkers and the public
- Ability to operate firefighting equipment and apparatus to include truck, hydraulics, hose and ladder
- Ability to carry equipment over 70 pounds and lift victims of 120 pounds
- Ability to pass the Washtenaw Medical Control Authority Basic EMT Test within 12 months of hiring
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responds to fire alarms; analyzes situation at scene and operates accordingly; operates pumps; performs search and rescue runs; extinguishes fire and ensures area is safe before leaving scene
- Responds to emergency calls and performs rescue and emergency work in both fire and non-fire situations; performs emergency medical techniques at scene and prepares follow-up report on call
- Acts as a dispatcher; answers emergency phone calls; gathers important and necessary information and relays to shift on duty; maintains log of emergency calls taken and also answers general inquiries from public
- Restores and maintains trucks and equipment to ensure they are operational and ready for emergencies
- Participates continually in educational programs, training and practice drills; participates in EMT refresher course to maintain EMT certification
- Maintains public relations with the community; provides fire prevention classes and fire station tours
- Performs a number of housekeeping and maintenance duties in and around the fire station
- Performs other related duties as assigned within knowledge, skills and abilities set forth
REQUIREMENTS: Proof of the following must be submitted with application:
- U.S. Citizen (copy of passport or birth certificate)
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Valid Michigan driver’s license with good record (copy of driver’s license)
- High school diploma or equivalent
- State of Michigan *Firefighter I & II Certification preferred
- State of Michigan *EMT Basic Certification preferred
- Valid certificate of completion of Conference of Western Wayne written and physical ability tests.
- Current ARC or AHA CPR certification
- A current Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support Certification or equivalent is preferred
- Hazardous Material Operation Level is preferred
- Provide proof of any additional certifications and/or degrees attained
*Preference will be given to applicants that have EMT Basic and Firefighter I and II certification
Applicants must have completed the Conference of Western Wayne written test and Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) to be eligible.
Schoolcraft College Training Center offers written and physical ability tests for the Conference of Western Wayne. Call the Schoolcraft Assessment Center at 734-462-4806 to register.
Written test dates: June 9, July 14, August 11.
Physical ability test dates: June 2, June 30, July 28.
The deadline for application is July 31, 2018.
Applicants must attached their resume to the online application.
Applicants must email proof of the listed requirements directly to the Fire Chief at email@example.com.
Applicants must be able to pass an extensive background check.